Monday, February 1, 2010

crazy monk kok nights

So after the monkey adventure I needed a little restorative street food, so we headed to Monk Kok.

Here's John showing off our giant bubble teas (which I ordered for us in Cantonese)..

Finally! I got myself some stinky tofu (tofu that has been placed in a container with rotting vegetable matter and water for months and then fried). It is tasteless, but the foul odor that accompanies it makes eating it tough. I had four bites and then threw in the towel..
Anyway, here's John ordering us up some vegetables with fried fish balls attached and the perilous stinky tofu.

There were lots of street performers. Most of them are hired in Mainland. They have horrible deformities (often children are mutilated for this purpose) to elicit sympathy and get money on the street for private companies. They have some of the most horrific injuries I have ever seen, burns all over the face and limbs missing.
We saw a man who had lost his eyes (not just his sight) and his hands, playing guitar and this man, who had no hands but demonstrated calligraphy with messages about hard-work and perseverance.
There was also a silent group protesting organ harvesting in mainland. Warning that it would soon invade Hong Kong. When I asked my friend Sophia (from Mainland) if this really happened, she said: "Probably."

Oh, Mong Kok.

2 comments:

  1. shits intense. i wanna hear you speak Cantonese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, stinky tofu!...euwww (or however that is spelled! And oh no, re the "street perfomers" and "organ harvesting"!

    ReplyDelete