This past Sunday Vanessa and I made a trip out to the Mong Kok markets: the Goldfish Market, the Flower Market, and the Bird Market (or Garden). None of which were markets in the way I was expecting, but rather a high concentration of shops in a specific block. First we went to the Goldfish Market. It was amazing.
We have no idea what this creature is, nor why he inhabits the Goldfish Market. His stare still sends shivers down my spine. Eyuck.
They will put any fish in a bag and there were thousands of bag fish. Heres a shot I took from one shop. We also saw stores with eel, shrimp, and puffer fish in bags. Not to mention fish so big they probably weighed 10 pounds.
This is a man cutting up crickets! Excellent.
There were thousands of birds. All shoved into cages and crates with 50 other birds. Their skwaking bordered on terrifying.


Is it just me, or is blogger doing weird terrible things to my photos? Hm..
I had my first day of classes yesterday and I've officially registered for all my correct courses. I'm taking...
-Hong Kong and the Pearl River Delta: A Survey. (With 4 field trips! 3 in Hong Kong and one on mainland)
-French (I know, I know..)
-Literature
-Abnormal Psych
-Psych of Personality
I also got into the non-accredited Chinese Medicine Course (which awards me a certificate upon completion, which should be worth something, right?) and I'm going to take Mandarin at the language center.
The teachers all seem great so far, and none of the classes seem like they'll require too much of a time commitment.
Tonight Mangala and I will go exploring, find some dinner, and hopefully stop by the Night Market!

like the starfish. and the pig-fish.
ReplyDeleteOn this post your photos look good. The photos are properly sized on the main page, and you can click on them to make them bigger. On some of your previous posts, the photos have looked fine on the main page, but we haven't been able to make them bigger. Here, the only one that isn't clickable is the one of the frog tub.
ReplyDeleteI don't know why that is. I remember when we were doing the wedding blog that Blogger wasn't very good with offering help, but I'm sure you can find html tips somewhere on the web. Or just a little good ol fashioned trial and error.
--Bob.
(ps: these photos are awesome!)
Congratulations, Ali! I am jealous of your travels.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are great! Keep them comming.
Bob's Dad
love! its my favorite. i love fish. meaning!
ReplyDeleteTHIS IS FROM MOM
ReplyDelete*I THOUGHT tHEY TOLD ALOT ABOUT THE SO CALLED MARKET. i INDEED LIKED THE BASKETS. i ALSO LIKED HOW YOUR PHOTOGRAPH'S WERE DETAILED. vERY PROFESSIONAL LOOKING. luv YOUR PHOTOS. mom
Fish, Fish, Starfish, Crickets, Birds...where are the Squids??? Flowers definitely smell better - I LOVE orchids!
ReplyDeleteAre the little fish in the first photo wearing red "yarmulkes" / "kipahs"??? Are they Jewish fish? Or gefilte fish?