Thursday, January 21, 2010

the REAL hot pot

So, I have to admit I was a little disappointed in my first Hong Kong hot pot adventure. I could have been anywhere, in any city. It was too pc, too...clean.

Last night we had REAL hot pot. It was exactly what I was hoping for: Dirty tables, vulgar waitstaff, floor covered in unknown fluid, and tons of cheap, fresh food.

We spent just under 10 USD for all the food we could possibly eat (delicious, fresh, seasonal, often still trying to escape, food) in Sha Tin Wei.









5 comments:

  1. My mom wanted to comment but hasn't created a profile yet, so I am posting her comment on her behalf:

    You are from my father's school of travel. When we were in Central Asia, my mother complained about dirt. My father answered: "This is exotic. Exotic means dirty."

    ReplyDelete
  2. you boil animals and thrive on their screams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, I agree...often, exotic does mean dirty! But exotic never the less! That was true of some of our experiences in Asia.

    ReplyDelete