Sunday, January 24, 2010

Temple Street Night Market

Temple Street Night Market (scene of the latest attacks by acid throwers..)!

The Chinese love faux food key chains. We stumbled into a number of stalls selling bread-themed ones. Here is my favorite HK treat: egg tart (phonetic Chinese: dahn-ta) I can successfully order 5 egg tarts in Cantonese (phonetic Chinese: mm dahn ta, mm goi).

Ah the signs never cease to make me laugh.



Hey momma, miss you:

Mao in every language!
These are the best, his arm moves up and down (independently of the watch hands). I have a video but it plays at a crazy rate. Anyway, this is the HK souvenir you all are getting:

Always:
These things are titled: "I am your bank!" and he looks like an especially "happy bird"

Maybe second to the watches is the "i love you" toast.
whatup jac and lauren:
These are couple key chains. This is for an especially industrious couple I suppose...

Ya'll hear about Google?

PS- had my first chinese conversation!
I was in the line for the restroom when a group of old chinese women jumped in line behind me, speaking to me in cantonese and rubbing their cheeks..

I said: "Speak english?"
They said: "No, I speak Cantonese. You speak english."
Ah, yes.

2 comments:

  1. I have one of those Mao lighters! A friend who went to China got it for me in college. When you push the button to start it, it plays the Mao theme song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that toast is mocking me.

    ReplyDelete