Today I joined the International Office for a tour of the Central and Sheung Wan districts on Hong Kong Island. We met at the IFC and so I rode in on the MTR to Central Station.
When I exited the station it was into the midst of a protest. Young people were demonstrating against the building of a high-speed rail that would connect Hong Kong to Mainland. While it would be convenient and such rails already exist in Mainland, it will cost something like 700 billion dollars. People do not love that. I saw a similar demonstration on my school's campus earlier this week (almost missed french because of it, too!).
I also have a video of the demonstration that I think is great, but iMovie doubles the speed when I try to watch it there. When I looked it up, many other people with my camera were complaining of similar problems..supposedly due to a compatibility issue.
Before that though, we stumbled into this relatively famous bakery, renowned for their egg tarts. For 5 HKD I bought one and it was SO great!

protests galore!
ReplyDeleteAlly,
ReplyDeleteI love this blog. I am (with luck) about to go spend a month in Melbourne, Australia, and I'd like to do something similar. Two questions:
1. How do you attach pictures so they can be enlarged by double clicking on them?
2. The title picture apparently was added after you'd been there a while. Was that hard?
It looks like a wonderful trip! Congratulations to you.
Dave Hay
Protests, egg tarts and Yum: Dim Sum!
ReplyDeleteYour photos and "story-telling" are great!