Saturday, January 30, 2010

Monkey Moutain..take 2

So yesterday I had my very first hiking adventure. We went to a place called Monkey Mountain and were warned that some of the monkeys were particularly vicious because people used to feed them. Wary, I asked the tour guide if it was safe for me to eat an apple. She told me it was fine as no monkeys lived in this area. Apple to my mouth, I was attacked. The monkey jumped on my hand, grabbed the apple, and jumped away. It didn't hurt me, only some minor scratches to my hand. Still, I was terrified. The monkeys are big, strong, and equipped with giant fangs. I was so scared and shocked that I cried.

The first monkeys we saw lived away from common feeding areas and were a little less agressive.



This monkey took it upon himself to stand guard at the bridge. i solved his three riddles and was permitted entry to the other side. You can see their impressive size.
Mangala and I half way up the mountain. Turns out I am fatter and out-of-shaper than i thought:

At the top of the mountain there was a major WWII battle where the British seized control of the resevoir. They built an intricate system of bunkers and trenches and named the channels after roads in London. The battle lasted only a day before the Japanese flanked them. The bullet holes are still clearly visible.
The passages were extensive and extremely dark These are a set of stairs, the light it coming from an opening about half way through..
Us through a hole in the roof:

The shafts have begun to cave in in some areas and the ceiling is alternatively tall enough for a grown man to walk comfortably and so short that even I had to crawl out.
Oh yeah, and then there was a wild mountain cow...

This is probably my last hiking adventure.

4 comments: